An evacuation alert has been issued by the Columbia Shuswap Regional District for two homes on Caen Road in Sorrento following a geotechnical assessment.
The assessment was undertaken due to ongoing issues with stream flow and channel erosion at Newsome Creek. The creek is actively eroding the slope of the creek channel along several properties, which is creating stability issues that could potentially impact physical property and human safety.
The evacuation alert affects the properties at 2807 and 2809 Caen Road in Sorrento.
The alert was issued in response to the geotechnical assessment and as a precautionary measure, as the potential danger to life and health may exist.
An evacuation alert was previously issued on May 3, 2018, for 11 properties located on Caen Road. It was rescinded on October 24, 2018. At that time, the hazard associated with the flow of Newsome Creek actively eroding the slope of the creek channel had subsided and the risk of a sudden slope failure declined.
Now, with the advent of higher stream flows, an alert has been implemented for these two properties. Owners of the affected properties have been notified and were advised to ensure that all individuals residing on the property need to be prepared to evacuate on short notice.
Residents are also advised to monitor the creek and report any significant changes, avoid the zone five metres from the crest edge of the creek channel and refer to recommendations within the CSRD's emergency assessment report, dated Oct 6, 2018, as well as the recent letters from the CSRD with updated information.
An evacuation alert is different from an evacuation order. When you have been placed on an evacuation alert, you should be prepared to evacuate your property on short notice by:
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (e.g. insurance, photographs, etc.) and have these items readily available for quick departure;
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and children;
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area;
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order;
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible;
- If Emergency Support Services are required, please contact: 250.833.2424.