Sunday, August 22, 2021
New fire start - Lightning in the area on Saturday, August 21 struck a single tree in the Loftus Creek area northwest of Malakwa. This started a small spot fire. A three-person RapAttack crew has been sent in today to take action on that fire.
White Rock Lake Fire
- BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) fire suppression continues on all flanks of the fire, with a focus on Westside Road.
- For the Northeast flank affecting the Falkland area, heavy equipment continues to construct the guard from Irish Creek to Six Mile Creek.
- A BCWS Unit Crew is continuing to build a fuel-free guard towards the north end of Pinaus Lake.
- Cooler temperatures are assisting with reducing fire behaviour, however thunderstorms may also bring wind gusts of up to 40 km/h. These winds could fan flames or increase smoke.
Two Mile Fire
- The contingency guard has been completed along the Swansea Point community and structure protection is ongoing in Swansea Point.
- A containment line from the Skyline FSR to Hummingbird Creek has been completed around the area of previous fire growth.
Crazy Creek Gorge FSR Fire
- Crews continue to mop up along the perimeter closest to Queest Village and Pete Martin Bay. Yesterday, crews completed mop up to 100-feet and will begin patrols to identify and extinguish hot spots today.
- With the possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon, the forecasted gusting winds may result in an increase in fire activity.
- BCWS work remains active, however, this fire has been downgraded by the BCWS and is no longer a "fire of note."
This will be the only fire update for today, unless the situation changes significantly.