Sunday, August 8, 2021
Hunakwa Fire Update - The Evacuation Order issued by the CSRD through the SEP due to the danger to life safety caused by a wildfire burning near Seymour Arm in Electoral Area F is hereby rescinded effective Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 1430 Hours.
All homes in the rescind area revert to Evacuation Alert status and residents must remain ready to leave their homes again on short notice if the fire situation changes.
The areas now downgraded to Evacuation Alert status are as follows:
- All residences within the community of Seymour Arm that are in the neighbourhood of Tranquility Bay.
- All properties east of Seymour Arm Bay Road and Seymour River Road at Bughouse Bay and including
Tipman Road and Bradley Road and the boat-in only properties.
Please refer to attached map for details.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO WHEN RETURNING HOME AFTER AN EVACUATION:
- Pay attention to any directions given by local authorities
- Pack some supplies, like bottled water, flashlight, garbage bags, closed toed-shoes, a first-aid kit,
- Walk the perimeter. Take note of any out-of-place wiring, gas smells or loose debris. If you notice
- downed power lines or a gas small contact BC Hydro or Fortis before entering your house.
- Enter your house carefully and check the main power breaker
- When in doubt, throw it out. Food and drinks may need to be tossed when you return home,
- especially due to the frequent power outages in the area.
- Photograph any damage. This can help with home insurance claims.
- Contact your insurance broker regarding damage or additional expenses that may be covered.