Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Tonight's report will be less detailed than normal, as much of the BC Wildfire Service Communications and the activity in the Shuswap Emergency Program's (SEP) Emergency Operations Centre involved the good news of rescinding various Order and Alert areas.
- A partial rescind of an Evacuation Order for the Cedar Hill and Glenemma Area to Alert status. The Pinaus Lake Area remains on Evacuation order.
- A rescind of an Evacuation Alert area at Three Valley Lake to All Clear
- A rescind of an Evacuation Alert area for the K3 Cat Skiing Lodge near the Bews Creek Fire.
With decreased fire behaviour and cooler temperatures in the forecast, BC Wildfire Service is continuing to reassess the remaining Order and Alert areas in the Shuswap on a regular basis. Public safety is the primary determinant for whether any Orders or Alerts can be downgraded or removed.
White Rock Lake Fire
- As a result of current weather, fire activity remain slow throughout the perimeter. This is providing a window of opportunity for crews to enhance containment lines.
- Clearer skies allowed for air support to assist with ground-control efforts.
Shuswap Complex fires (Two Mile, Hunakwa, Momich, Crazy Creek Gorge FSR and Three Valley Lake)
- Good weather continues to assist firefighting efforts on all fires in the Shuswap Complex.
- The BCWS Incident Management Team reported no significant growth in any of the fires today and expect continued cooler temperatures to moderate fire behaviour for the next few days.
- On the Two Mile Fire, structure protection was set up for two cabins located northeast of the fire. Structure protection is ongoing in Swansea Point.
- On the Crazy Creek Gorge FSR fire, enhanced containment guards are complete and as a result, structure protection needs will be assessed and possibly demobilized.
- This is a similar situation as Seymour Arm, where structure protection has also been removed and mop-up operations are in place.
This will be the last update of the evening, unless the fire situation changes significantly.