News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/23/2022 2:16:42 PM to 8/8/2022 12:00:00 AM.
Posted on: August 7, 2021
[ARCHIVED] Update - White Rock Lake Fire - August 7 - 12:15 Hours
- BC Wildfire Service is reporting that despite extremely challenging conditions, crews were able to hold the flank of the fire affecting Westwold, Falkland, and Cedar Hill. There were no structure losses in the Falkland area.
- With a small amount of precipitation and higher humidity, BCWS is hoping for continued success in holding that Falkland flank of the fire for the next 24-hours.
- The fire is now estimated at 55,000 hectares.
- There remains very active fire in the Monte Lake Area, as well as the east side of the blaze. This had a significant impact to communities on the west side of Okanagan Lake. Damages were reported in the Parker Cove area.
- Many structures were saved around the Fintry area, thanks to high-risk work from Structure Protection Units and BCWS firefighting teams.
- There was concern about the fire jumping to the east side of Okanagan Lake, however, crews were able to prevent ash and embers from igniting that side.
- All CSRD Evacuation Alerts and Orders remain unchanged.
- BCWS will be re-assessing all the evacuation orders and alert recommendations in the next few hours.
- There has been no word yet on when the highway may be reopened to traffic.