Building Projects

Building regulations vary across the CSRD, depending on which Electoral Area you live. Some areas have full Building Regulation and Inspection, others do not. 

If you live in Salmon Arm, Sicamous, Revelstoke or Golden, you need to contact them for information on building or renovating structures.

You can find more information on whether you need a building permit at the Building Regulation and Inspection Page.

Once you have a building permit, use this form to request a building inspection.

CSRD Building Inspectors conduct reviews of all building permit applications for conformance with BC Building Code requirements, development bylaws, and other related regulations in the areas where these regulations apply.

If you live in an area where building permits are required, here is a guide below to help you determine if you need a permit or not. If in doubt, contact our Development Services team at 250-832-8194 or by email.

  1. You need a permit if you want to...
  • Construct a new building, add to an existing building or building a deck over 2ft above grade
  • Install solar panels or adding a roof to an entry or deck
  • Enclose your carport or changing your garage to a living space
  • Structural changes. Ex. removing a load bearing wall or adding/ widening the size of a door/window
  • Install insulation or vapour barrier to an exterior wall
  • Add or relocate plumbing
  • Finish a basement or converting a space to a bedroom
  • Add a secondary suite or new kitchen
  • Make interior renovations that may impact travel to an exit
  • Add or move a wood stove or other solid fuel-burning appliance
  1. You do not need a permit if you want to...